Networking at a Career Fair can be intimidating. Many students struggle with approaching employers because they are unsure of what to say.
Student talking points with employers at career fairs:
- Introduce yourself, give your first and last name
- Tell employers about your chosen major and your potential career path
- Impress them, talk about what you learned by researching their company
- Ask questions about their company
(only ask questions that you can not find the information from researching online)
- Learn about internship and employment opportunities
You can always practice your elevator pitch, which is a brief speech about you. An elevator pitche may be used at career fairs, during an interview when asked, “tell me about yourself,” at a networking event, or when visiting companies job seeking.
Navigating and Networking Tips:
- Be open-minded
- Research companies and employers to attend career events
(see what opportunities or roles are of interest to you)
- Prepare for career events
(update your resume and print several copies)
- Get employers business cards so that you can follow up with them after the event
- ALWAYS thank them for their time!
Unsure about how to network at a Career Fair? See the video below
To learn what companies and employers are attending a Career Event:
- Log in to your Handshake account
- View upcoming events/upcoming career fairs
- Check out the list of companies who have registered.